Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Popping at home

pop with parmesan On Sunday, because it was dreary and we had nowhere we needed to be, we caught up on movies from Netflix and TiVo'd shows.

For the viewing of Caprica, I made us a big bowl of popcorn. I do not need a movie as an excuse to make popcorn at home. But it's nice to have popcorn while watching a movie in any location.

I do not require a fancy apparatus to make popcorn. I used to own a contraption for making popcorn on the stove that would stir the kernels around inside the pot. The best part about that contraption is that it had a little dish underneath the lid where I put butter to melt.

That contraption was a royal pain to clean. After leaving it uncleaned on top of the stove for a week one time (due to not wanting to deal with it), I decided to throw it away.

I don't need no fancy popcorn machine. All I need is a non-stick pot with a lid. Depending on my mood, I add a little olive oil or a little butter to the bottom of the pan, let that heat up a bit, and then add enough kernels to cover the bottom of the pot. I put on the lid and shake the pot vigorously back and forth every 30 seconds or so. It's certainly not an exact science. I keep shaking it periodically until the kernels have stopped popping.

Then I add salt and freshly grated parmesan. Sometimes I add some spicy red pepper powder. On Sunday I was feeling mellow, not spicy, so I kept it simple.

Of course it was perfectly popped, so there is no need to list those details this time.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like someone likes popcorn. Popcorn is okay, but netflix rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband love love loves popcorn and just learned how to make it on the stove a few months ago. We use a stainless steel pot with a glass lid -- but after realizing that it's a pain in the ass to clean, we now use foil with holes poked in the top as a lid. Much less clean-up.

    Also, my friend taught us a new way to make popcorn. Take sliced jalapenos and throw them in the oil as it's heating. Once the oil is nice and hot and the jalapenos have had time to crisp up a bit, add the popcorn and pop away. It is SPICY yet amazingly delicious -- and I'm not a huge fan of popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been waiting for a site like this my entire life! I once tried and failed miserably to create a similar blog, so i'm super excited to see this!

    ReplyDelete