Friday, April 24, 2009

Penn Station popcorn lunch

Penn Station pop This is my go-to popcorn stand in Penn Station. It is the popcorn stand closest to the 8th Avenue end of the lower concourse.

The guys who run the stand are always incredibly polite and nice. "Hello! Would you like salt?" they ask. The one serving up the popcorn shakes on a little salt and then follows up with, "is that enough?" Often he will shake on some salt after filling the bag halfway and then again when the bag is full.

The popcorn at this stand is consistenly good. It doesn't taste buttery, nor does it leave much grease on my fingers. This is an impressive feat because I have spied them pouring the butter-flavored grease into the popping machine. I believe that popcorn should be flavorful, but the taste of butter should not be apparent. If you can taste the butter (on whatever you're eating) there's too much on there.

Since the salt is added as the bag is filled, the salt distribution can be inconsistent, but it's nothing that a few shakes of the bag can't fix.

In the bag were a couple slightly burned pieces, but no more than three of them, and not badly enough burned to bother me. There were only a few completely unpopped kernels that I could not eat. There were about eight slightly popped kernels, which are probably not a good idea to eat, but which I do, happily.

Unforuntely, despite its so-called "king" size, it is not quite enough popcorn to satisfy me for lunch. Two bags might be pushing it, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment