Friday, April 24, 2009

About

I have had this idea for years to start a popcorn review site, but that may never happen at the snail's pace that I move. And then today I happened upon Frites Fan and I realized that starting a popcorn blog is the way to go until I can manage to stop being so lazy. Maybe one day I will start that popcorn review site. Or, more likely, someone else will beat me to it and make millions off of it.

So, this is the deal.

I adore popcorn.

I am not a huge fan of adding too much to it besides salt, but I am open to toppings. I am less enamoured of the sweet toppings, although I will not turn down some good caramel corn. I do like a good cheesy popcorn. For a while there in college, I was eating several bags of Smartfood popcorn every day. The little bags were only a quarter, which is pretty much free, in my book.

When I make popcorn at home, I make it in a non-stick pot on the stove. I like to add salt, freshly grated Parmesan, and a little chili powder.

I have and will continue to gorge on popcorn until I feel sick, even if it's bad movie theater popcorn. It has to be really, really bad popcorn for me to not finish a bag of it that I buy at the movies.

I consider myself very lucky to work near Penn Station (NYC) as there are multiple popcorn vendors there. There are many reasons to hate working in this part of town, but the popcorn vendors (and Korea town) are the highlights that make it worthwhile.

I am incapable of going to the movies without buying some popcorn, even if I know from past experience that a certain theater has horrible popcorn. It just smells so good! I am unable to resist.

This blog is dedicated to my mother, who is a fellow popcorn lover, and who has taught all her dogs to appreciate popcorn as well.

2 comments:

  1. One topping that you may wish to try is Frank's Hot Sauce. An outstanding addition of spice for those slow and boring evenings.

    I discovered this add-on while being a Marine in the first gulf war. Many of us after being stuck in the middle of the Arabian Desert for a few months, eating the same thing day after day started to become more inventive with our food preparation.

    You might be wondering why we had popcorn. The interesting thing about the military is Hollywood sends over films for moral boosting and my unit brought a popcorn machine with us. Something like sitting in an open tent under the dark star filled night with a movie playing. It's almost like being at the drive-in theatre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not familiar with Frank's Hot Sauce, but I'm guessing that any hot sauce one likes would be tasty.

    ReplyDelete